At MacFarlane Primary School, we believe that numeracy skills are essential for living. Formal Mathematics lessons occur daily and are also integrated within other areas of the school curriculum. NZ Maths is our Mathematics program for number work, matched with the Australian Curriculum Framework.
Opportunities are provided for students to acquire concepts, skills and factual knowledge in settings which foster positive attitudes to Mathematics. Our focus is on ‘hands on’ and ‘real life’ skills.
The Numeracy program ensures that students, at every level, work mathematically to develop:
- Knowledge of number facts and technical skills
- The ability to communicate in clear and precise mathematical language
- The ability to conduct investigations using mathematics
- Conceptual understanding
- The skills needed to transfer their knowledge to solve real and non-routine problems
- Measuring, estimating skills which include using calculators and computers
- Logic and reasoning.